Sunlover Moore Reef Pontoon Full Day Tour
Departs at 08:30am from Cairns Terminal, Return to Cairns at 17:30pm.
With cruises departing daily from Cairns, the state-of-the art Moore Reef Marine Base is perfectly positioned and fully equipped so that any age or ability can fully experience the magic of the reef with its abundance of colourful coral, fascinating fish, turtles & more.
With 4 HOURS REEF TIME to explore this underwater wonderland, there’s plenty of time to take advantage of all of our free inclusions. The kids (or big kids!) will love the Sunlover Sunslide – the only theme park water slide on the reef.
You won't find a better value outer reef adventure with this many activities and inclusions packed into one day.
Departs daily from Cairns Marina
- 08:30am - Check in starts
- 09:15am - Check in closes
- 09:30am - Depart Cairns
- 10:15am - Arrive Fitzroy Island
- 10:30am - Depart Fitzroy Island
- 11:30am - Arrive Moore Reef Marine Base
Enjoy 4 hours of reef time. So much to explore and experience!
- 12 to 1.30pm - Lunch available
- 3:30pm - Depart Moore Reef Marine Base
- 4:20pm - Arrive Fitzroy Island
- 5:30pm - Arrive at Cairns
*TIMES ARE APPROXIMATE
MOORE REEF MARINE BASE
The double-storey Moore Reef Marine Base is anchored at Moore Reef, 54km off Cairns. The base has been custom designed so all ages and abilities can explore and enjoy the wonders of the Great Barrier Reef. The base is 50 metres long with a capacity of up to 400 people, and was recently refurbished and enhanced to now feature a large upper-level sundeck, which is the perfect spot to relax in the tropical sunshine, and prime position to look out over the turquoise waters and mosiac of the reef. The sundeck is also where the Sunlover Sunslide starts on its 30 metre spiral descent into the tropical waters. On the lower level, there is plentiful seating in the shade. The boat docks alongside the base and gangplanks provide seamless access between base and air-conditioned boat.
Moore Reef Marine Base features:
- Fully powered
- WIFI and cellphone coverage (dependent on conditions and provider)
- Air-conditioned 60 tiered-seat underwater observatory that can also be used for presentations
- Built in SCUBA dive station, with all equipment & diving platform
- Two snorkel platforms
- Plentiful tables and seating
- Marine-life touch tank
- Glass bottom boat
- Semi-submersible vessel
- Fresh water outdoor showers
- Ocean enclosed children’s pool
- Sunlover Sunslide - only waterslide on the reef
- Two levels - shaded lower level and upper level sundeck
- SeaWalker Helmet Dive platform
- Scenic helicopter pad
MOORE REEF + SEAWALKER HELMET DIVE
Experience the reef underwater without getting your hair wet! Walk among the spectacular reef fish on our spacious underwater platform. This fully escorted 20 minute experience takes you to 3.5 metres below sea-level with a photographer ready to capture your out of this world experience. Seawalker Helmet Diving is a fantastic option for both those who can't swim and those who are looking for a unique Great Barrier Reef experience.
TEN MINUTE SCENIC FLIGHT MOORE REEF
See the beauty of Moore Reef from every angle with a 10 minute scenic flight on a Nautilus Aviation helicopter. From a helipad at Moore Reef you can soar high above this natural wonder and admire its sheer size and beauty! Sightings of manta rays, turtles and other marine life are not uncommon and if you’re flying in the winter months, there is even a chance of spotting whales!
CRUISE/FLY FROM CAIRNS/MOORE REEF MARINE BASE
Traveling from the Nautilus Aviation hangar at Cairns Airport, enjoy a spectacular 20 minute flight over the Great Barrier Reef to the Moore Reef Marine Base. Cruise back to Cairns on the Sunlover air conditioned catamaran. Or, do it in reverse with the Cruise Out/Fly Return option.
- Travel to Moore Reef on air-conditioned catamaran
- Great Barrier Reef Presentation by marine expert
- 4 hours to explore the wonders of the Great Barrier Reef
- Tropical Lunch Buffet
- Sunlover Sunslide theme-park waterslide
- Tea & coffee (while docked)
- Great Barrier Reef snorkelling with complimentary gear + life jackets
- Semi-Submersible tour with marine expert (Currently unavailable)
- Touch-tank presentation with marine expert
- Glass-bottom boat tour with marine expert
- Fish-Feeding presentation with marine expert
- Underwater Observatory
- Enclosed kids pool for the little ones
- Rest at Sunlover Sun Deck
- Reef Levy
Package Deal includes one Seawalker Helmet Dive / Heli Flight
- Private consumption
- Travel insurance (can be purchased from FIT Travel)
- Extras : Introductory Diving, Certified Diving, Guided snorkel experience, Snorkel Safari adventure tour, Photo packages on request
- Hotel transfers (from Northern Beaches and Cairns City) are not included and are payable on the day of the tour
- Xmas Day holiday Surcharge $60 per person
- Please check-in at the Sunlover Reef Cruises desk inside the Reef Fleet Terminal, which is located at the end of Spence Street opposite the Shangri La Hotel.
- Please arrive at least 45 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time with your booking confirmation ready.
- There is no parking at the Reef Fleet Terminal. Metered outdoor street parking is available near the terminal and in the Esplanade Lagoon carpark. The Pier shopping complex also provides undercover car parking. It’s only a few minutes on foot to the Reef Fleet Terminal from both of these locations.
- The itinerary is quoted in Australian dollars (AUD).
- Minimum numbers apply for tours to proceed, we will let you know at the time of booking if this might affect your tour.
- Prices listed on this site are per person, unless otherwise specified.
Prices advertised include GST.
Tours and pricing are subject to change without notice.
- All divers must complete a medical questionnaire/declaration on-board. A history of asthma, heart conditions and/or other medical conditions or medications may prohibit diving. If medical is failed on board no refund will be given.
- ARE THERE JELLYFISH ON THE REEF?
Unfortunately, stinger season is a price we pay for our amazing tropical lifestyle. However, this period of time is short and to combat any risk we provide lycra suits free for you to use. We strongly advise you use them in the season which runs from April to November but they are available all year round for added sun protection if you would like it. The good thing about jellies is that the turtles that swim in our reefs love to eat them!
- I’VE HEARD ABOUT CORAL BLEACHING ON THE NEWS, WILL I BE ABLE TO SEE ANY BRIGHT, COLOURFUL CORAL DURING OUR TRIP?
Unfortunately, the media sometimes miscommunicates the issue of coral bleaching. The Great Barrier Reef is aspectacular place and proving resilient as evidenced by the best coral spawning activity in a number of years, however it is very fragile, and we must look after it. We have two very healthy, beautiful reef sites that we visit regularly. In fact, Arlington Reef in particular has been untouched for 20years. Please check out our website and brochures, asthese images were all taken within the past 12 months. We are also very careful to minimise our impact on the reef and regularly participate in monitoring programs and environmental initiatives to ensure its longevity. We encourage all of our guests to learn more about small changes they can make to reduce their environmental impact, and all of our crew, especially our Master Reef Guides are happy to answer all of your questions about the reef.
- DO YOU HAVE UNDERWATER CAMERAS?
Yes we do. Our photographers Calypso Reef Imagery have underwater cameras onboard that you can you can hire
- CAN I BRING A PRAM?
Yes you can. Our friendly team will be able to provide assistance to you when getting on and off the boat.
- DO I NEED TO BRING A TOWEL?
Yes please bring a suitable towel as these are not supplied.
- ARE THERE ANY ACTIVITIES FOR NON-SWIMMERS?
Yes. We actually offer a large number of activities that allow non-swimmers to experience the reef. You can enjoy a semi-submersible or glass-bottom boat tour, underwater observatory, guided snorkel safari, Seawalker Helmet dive, upper level sundeck, fish feeding presentation and touch tank presentation. Scenic helicopter tours are also available as an option. Find out more here.
- DO YOU HAVE WIFI?
Yes we do. Our boats are equipped with WiFi that we provide free to you as part our your experience, so you can post and send amazing images and tell your family and friends about your awesome reef experience. You are also likely to receive mobile coverage depending on your network. However, we are 47km off shore so mobile and WiFi can't be guaranteed. You will be too busy enjoying time with your friends and family exploring the Outer Great Barrier Reef anyway!
- HOW MANY PASSENGERS DO YOU HAVE ONBOARD THE VESSEL ON ANY GIVEN DAY?
This varies every day. The maximum is approximately 340 people but often is fewer than this.
- CAN I COLLECT MY BOARDING PASS THE DAY BEFORE?
No. Check-in opens approximately one hour before the tour departs, so you will need to check-in and collect your boarding pass from the Sunlover desk in the Reef FleetTerminal on the day of travel.
- I HAVE AN INFANT. DO I NEED TO BOOK A SEAT FOR THEM?
Yes, you do. It’s important for us to have an accurate record of every single person travelling with us, no matter what their age. Children under 3 years travel free but you must advise us if you have an infant when you make a booking please.
- WHAT IS A MARINE BASE?
A Marine Base is a floating platform, a little bit like an artificial island, in the middle of the ocean. Large and spacious, it provides a safe activity platform for our guests to enjoy the wonder of the Great Barrier Reef. We have Marine Bases at Moore and Arlington Reefs. Both have recently been refurbished and custom designed to makes the coral gardens and marine life of the Outer Great Barrier Reef easily accessible for swimmers of all ability and even non-swimmers! Both feature snorkel platforms, an ocean enclosed children's pool, underwater observatory, SCUBA dive centre and platform and Seawalker helmet diving platform as well as plentiful shaded seating.
- DO YOU PROVIDE PHOTOGRAPHS?
The photography team from Calypso Reef Imagery are available to take photographs for you while boarding and taking part invarious activities such as Seawalker Helmet diving, Introductory SCUBA diving and snorkelling. These photographs can be previewed on the boat journey back to Cairns and are available to purchase digitally or as a printed photo.
- DO YOU HAVE SMOKING FACILITIES?
There is a designated smoking area at the top level of the vessel. However, this can only be used when the boat is moored to the Marine Base.
- IS THERE A MINIMUM AGE FOR YOUR TOURS?
There is no minimum age for our Arlington Reef and Moore Reef tours. In fact we have built special Ocean Enclosed Pools for very small children so they can also safely experience the Great Barrier Reef. However, Sunlover by Starlight, SCUBA diving and Seawalker Helmet diving have a minimum age of 12 years.
- CAN I TAKE MY PRESCRIPTION GLASSES/LENSES SNORKELLING?
We do offer prescription snorkel masks for those who are short sighted to ensure don’t miss a thing when exploring the coral and marine life of the Great Barrier Reef. Available from -1 to -6 strength levels, the masks can be hired for $5, with a $50 deposit refundable on return. Please ask our friendly crew onboard to assist you.
- WHAT LANGUAGES ARE SPOKEN ONBOARD OTHER THAN ENGLISH?
We have an international team working every day on both the Sunlover vessel and Marine Base, including Chinese, Japanese and Korean crew members. Important medical forms, health and safety messages, and our Sunlover brochures are also provided for in these languages for our guests. Please inquire about other languages on the day of your departure should you require them, as we regularly have people from all over the world joining our team.
- CAN YOU SUPERVISE MY CHILDREN WHILE I DIVE?
Unfortunately, we don’t have a crèche onboard so we can’t specifically care for infants, or anyone needing close supervision. However, if your children are old enough to head off on the glass bottom boat or go snorkelling on their own, we do have lifeguards watching the snorkelling area. If you let the lifeguards know that your children are entertaining themselves while you are heading off for a dive, they will be happy to keep a close eye out. However, you are ultimately responsible those under the age of 18 travelling with you.
- DO YOU HAVE LOCKERS ON BOARD FOR MY PERSONAL BELONGINGS?
Yes! Secure lockers are available fore hire on the boat for small personal belongings. We suggest leaving any unnecessary valuables at home or at your hotel.
- WILL I GET SEASICK?
Even the most experienced sailor at times can sometimes get a little bit of sea sickness! Luckily, this is generally easy to prevent. If you have a tendency to get seasick, we recommend taking ‘Travelcalm’ tablets prior to departure. These come in a medicated variety (not available to minors without parental supervision/consent) or natural ginger tablets. These can be purchased at the Reservations desk upon collecting your boarding pass or on-board the vessel. Alternatively please discuss the best option for you with your doctor or pharmacist.
- HOW LONG ARE WE AT THE REEF FOR?
As long as possible! On our Moore Reef Daily experience you can expect to have approximately 4 hours reef time. On our Sunlover by Starlight experience you stay for for 24 hours!
- WHAT SHOULD I BRING ON THE DAY?
Simply pack a bag as if you were going to the beach for the day. Suggested items include: Swimming costume, Hat, Sunscreen (SPF 30+) - reef friendly is best for our precious marine environment. You can purchase it onboard. Sun protective clothing, like a t-shirt or rash vest, Beach towel, Cash for snacks or drinks at the bar (soft drinks,beer, wine), Credit card for on-board shopping and optional adventures, Your camera. Or you can hire an underwater digital camera from our photographers Calypso Reef Imagery onboard to capture those amazing underwater moments.
- ARE THERE TOILETS, SHOWERS AND CHANGE ROOMS AT THE REEF?
There are toilets located onboard the boat, which are accessible at all times. We also have fresh water rinse showers and change rooms on the Sunlover Marine Bases.
- ARE THERE ALLOCATED SEATS ON THE BOAT?
No, the seats are not allocated, however there is plenty of room and seating on our large air-conditioned catamaran,with 3 levels including indoor and outdoor seating. You can see more details here.
- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET TO THE REEF?
From Cairns, it takes approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes to get to Moore Reef Marine Base (with a stop at Fitzroy Island) and 1 hour and 30 minutes to get to Arlington Reef Marine Base