For tour meeting point and time, please take the tour vouchers as the final confirmation. The meeting point and time in the tour info are only for reference.
All day tour pick up from your accommodation (in CBD) between 08:00-08:30am and return about 17:30pm (make own way back to your hotel).
See the Great Barrier Reef and Kuranda Rainforest
Take a 40-minute scenic flight over the Great Barrier Reef, then visit Kuranda by travelling on the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway and returning by the Kuranda Scenic Railway. You will get to explore the village and enjoy free time visiting markets, wildlife parks, shops and food stalls as well as discover World Heritage-listed pristine rainforest by historic scenic railway.
Schedule of your day on our 3 in 1 combo. It can be a day full of activities, or it may be a relaxing day according to your own pace.
(* Skyrain and Kuranda Scenic Rail operate almost every day of the year except certain public holidays and scheduled maintenance days)
- Pickup from your city accommodation or at a designated location in Cairns City Center area around 8:15 AM; or make your own way to GSL Aviation Cairns around 8:15am.
- 40 minute Reef Hopper flight departing at 9:00am.
- Drop off to Skyrail Smithfield Caravonica station to check-in for your Skyrail experience around 11:30 AM; or drive to the Skyrail Station and park your car there if you made your own way.
- Skyrail one way experience up to Kuranda, approximately 1.5 hours - Estimated arrival at Kuranda village around 1:00pm.
- Free time up on Kuranda village, possible activities include Butterfly Sanctuary, Koala Gardens, Birds World and etc at own cost.
- Visit the Kuranda market and restaurants.
- Return on Kuranda Scenic Rail at 3:30pm, ride approximately 2.5 hours (optional return on the 2:00 PM train depends on availability).
- Arrive back at Cairns Central Station at 5:30pm ; or getting off at Freshwater Station 5:00pm then catch a taxi or uber if you drove your own car and parked at either Skyrail Station or GSL Aviation’s office.
- Make your own way back to your accommodation once you have arrived at the Cairns Central train station (*optional return transfer could be organized with Skyrail up on check-in at an extra cost).
*Please note that a return transfer is extra and can be booked with Skyrail upon check-in if required.
Skyrail Smithfield Station
- Smithfield (Cairns) Terminal: Located 15 minutes drive from Cairns City and 50 minutes south of Port Douglas. The terminal is easily accessed by Skyrail’s bus transfer service. Free parking is available with dedicated parking for RV’s and caravans and an electric vehicle charge station.
- Red Peak: Descend through the canopy to explore one of the most ancient pockets of rainforest on Earth, where unique plants and animals have survived the forces of nature and time. This is the home of lush fern gardens, climbing palms, rare butterflies, birds and imposing rainforest giants, all of which are in constant competition for life-giving light. Exploring the rainforest at Red Peak is an experience not to be missed, so allow yourself approximately 20 minutes to encounter, discover and immerse yourself in this fascinating living museum.
- Barron Falls: Discover panoramic views from The Edge Lookout, visit the Rainforest Interpretation Centre and Historical Precinct.
- Kuranda Terminal: Located near the banks of the mighty Barron River, Kuranda Terminal is the start or finish point of your rainforest experience. Inside you’ll find a range of facilities including ticketing, souvenir gift shop, cold drinks and snacks, souvenir photos, restrooms and a Skyrail Rainforest Foundation donation point. The Skyrail terminal is located next to the Kuranda Railway Station and is a short walk from Kuranda village, renowned for its eclectic mix of markets, stalls, arts & crafts, cafes and restaurants.
Kuranda Scenic Railway
Discover the living colour and natural beauty of a rainforest that’s millions of years old. Far North Queensland’s World Heritage-listed rainforest, the Wet Tropics, are among the oldest on earth. Thousands of species of plants and hundreds of unique creatures inhabit this lush green world. The famous Kuranda Scenic Railway winds its way on a journey from Gimuy (Cairns) via Bubundji (Freshwater), to Ngunbay (Kuranda), the village in the rainforest. Rising from sea level to 327 metres, the journey to Kuranda passes spectacular waterfalls and into the stunning Barron Gorge.
- Kuranda Railway Station: "The village in the rainforest" and home to attractions such as Koala Gardens, Australian Butterfly Sanctuary, Birdworld and Kuranda Markets.
- Barron Falls Stop: A photographic stop with views of Spectacular Barron Falls.
- Robbs Monument: A rock formation that was left during the building of the railway as a monument to John Robb.
- Stoney Creek Falls: The bridge is the most outstanding feature of the railway line.
- Jungara: Features a 180 degree bend with a five chain (100.58m) radius curve.
- Freshwater Railway Station: The second stop, and most popular tourist departure point if you self drive from Cairns City.
- Cairns Railway Station: The final stop for Kuranda Scenic Railway. (Make own way back to your accommodation).
Route Map (click to enlarge)
Kuranda Scenic Railway Heritage Class
The original Kuranda Scenic Railway Heritage Class carriages offer the old-world charm of travelling in authentic timber carriages, some of which are up to 100 years old. Experience your scenic journey in the refurbished original red-wooden heritage carriages. Sit back and enjoy the scenery and numerous photographic opportunities as you wind through World Heritage-listed rainforest.
Heritage Class inclusions:
- Souvenir trip guide available
- Seating in refurbished Heritage carriages
- Ambient, historical carriage décor
- Audio commentary
- Stop and disembark at Din Din (Barron Falls) station, with stunning views of Din Din (Barron Falls)
- Filtered water available in each carriage