Gordon River Cruise
Check-in at 8:00AM for 8.30AM departure from the main wharf in Strahan, year round. Total tour duration is approx 6 hours.
Cruising aboard Spirit of the Wild on national award-winning Gordon River Cruise, you will experience quiet cruising with electric motors while taking in the tranquil surrounds of the Gordon River. Our dedicated guides and character-based interpretation will take you through the history of this remarkable place as you cruise across Macquarie Harbour to Hells Gates and then on to the Gordon River.
- Voyage across Macquarie Harbour and feel the power of the Southern Ocean at Hells Gates
- Pass fish farms and learn about salmon and trout farming
- Glide past ancient rainforests and admire perfect reflections on the Gordon River
- Enjoy quiet cruising on the Gordon River with Spirit of the Wild's electric motors
- Land excursion 1 - walk ashore to see the 2000 year old Huon pine
- Land excursion 2 - explore Sarah Island on an interpretive tour
- Dedicated on-board guides and full galley service with a Chef-prepared buffet lunch
- Beverages (open bar for cruise duration) and local specialities included in Premier Upper Deck
- Cash bar available on Main Deck
- Complimentary audio tours available in French, German, Cantonese and Mandarin
Route map and tour description
GORDON RIVER CRUISE INCLUSIONS:
- Quiet cruising on the Gordon River with Spirit of the Wild's unique hybrid drive system
- First access to the Gordon River ensuring the best possible chance of seeing the famous reflections
- Dedicated on-board guides
- Character-based interpretation during which you'll meet the likes of Captain James Kelly, Lady Jane Franklin and more...
- Chef-prepared buffet lunch
- Three seating options, including the Premier Upper Deck
- Audio tours for international guests (reservation recommended)
- Two walking tours (Heritage Landing and Sarah Island)
- The Premier Upper Deck includes an open bar. Main deck provides a cash bar
PREMIER UPPER DECK ADDITIONAL INCLUSIONS:
- Complimentary Tasmanian red, white and sparkling wines. As well as beers, juices, tea and espresso coffee
- Premium leather recliners with full length windows
- Private viewing deck and lounge area
- Morning, afternoon tea and canapés
- Travel Insurance
- Personnel Expense
- Please make your own way to the main wharf in Strahan
- Your cruise will depart from the Strahan Esplanade – and don’t forget your boarding passes! You can collect these on the Esplanade the day before or by 8.15am on the morning of your cruise.
- Strahan is on Tasmania’s remote west coast – around five hours’ drive west of Hobart, and approximately four hours’ drive southwest of Launceston. Strahan is a 50 minute flight from Hobart. (Once you get here, you will find Gordon River Cruises at 24 The Esplanade, Strahan.)
- Leave Hobart on the Brooker Highway and drive through the city’s northern suburbs to Granton.From here, follow the Lyell Highway (A10) through New Norfolk, Hamilton and Ouse.(It is a good idea to break your journey at Lake St Clair at the southern edge of the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park.) Take your time to complete the last section of your journey to Strahan, which takes you along winding mountainous sections of the road to your west coast destination.
- The itinerary is quoted in Australian dollars (AUD)
- Minimum numbers apply for tours to proceed, we will let you know at the time of booking if this might affect your tour
- Prices listed on this site are per person, unless otherwise specified
Prices advertised include GST
Tours and pricing are subject to change without notice
- Boarding of the cruise commences 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time
- Strahan is rugged and the climate on the west coast of Tasmania unpredictable. Summer temperatures can reach a pleasant 20-30 degrees, with an average rainfall of 200mm in the summer; whereas winter can drop to 5-10 degrees and rains can fall at 550-650mm (cold and wet) in the winter. It may be clear blue skies one minute and moody clouds the next – a feature that adds to the magic, wild, unpredictable and spectacular qualities of this border between civilisation and nature. But it pays to be prepared, whatever your planned Strahan activities...
- Remember to bring: Waterproof coat and fleecy jacket, Sturdy footwear, Sun hat and sunscreen, Beanie, gloves and a scarf, A camera